Makeup is always in contact with your eyes, mouth, face and fingers which can make your products breeding grounds for bacteria and contamination. That’s why it’s so important to take proper care of your beauty items and replace them when need be. For your convenience, we’ve come up with a time-to-toss cosmetic quick guide!
· Moisturizers, serums and cleansers every 6-12 months
· Foundation every 9-12 months
· Powder products (face, blush and bronzer) every 18 months
· Eye shadow every 18-24 months
· Mascara every 2-3 months
· Eyeliner every 6-9 months
· Lip products every 12 months
When it comes to makeup brushes, they can last for years if they are taken proper care of. Make sure to wash your brushes at least once every 1-2 weeks. However, the amount of washing needed depends on how often you use your brushes. (Be sure to stay tuned for next week’s post that goes more into detail about brush care basics).
A few final tips:
*Every time you purchase a new beauty product, write the date on it with permanent marker as a reminder of when it’s time to trash it
* Always throw out any product that has changed in scent or consistency
* Store cosmetics in a cool, dry place and out of the sun to extend shelf life
* Always thoroughly wash or sanitize hands before applying makeup
* Make sure product caps are tightly secured after each use
Have a great weekend! Stay beautiful!
© 2011 Sigma Enterprises, LLC