April 27, 2012

Foundation Shade Selection 101




To find a foundation that works for you, you need to make sure to buy one that best matches your skin tone. To get that just-right shade, here are some suggestions:

Test the color. Place the foundation along your jawline, not on your hand like you might have been told in the past because your hand may yield a different color than your face. If the color blends seamlessly, it’s a winner!

Get samples. If possible, take home samples to try out in a few shades that appear to closely match your skin tone. (Cosmetic counters in department stores will often offer a variety of samples for you to take home and test).

Mix shades. Sometimes you may find that you need to mix two shades in order to create on that best matches your skin tone.

Step into the sun. See yourself with the foundation on in natural light to make sure it’s the right shade. It’s also a good idea to apply your foundation next to window that lets in natural light for that same reason.

Adjust the shade. The shade of foundation you choose may alter every few months based on the season and your daily exposure to sunlight so buy according to the season.

Lastly, we always recommend applying your foundation with the proper brush such as the F80 (best-seller!), F82 or F60

What are your go-to tips for finding the perfect foundation shade? 

 © 2012 Sigma Enterprises, LLC 

18 comments:

  1. I try to match my foundation to the middle of my chest area. I like to blend my foundation down to match my chest so I don't look like I have a white face. My face always tends to be lighter than my neck and chest. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Nena! Thanks for stopping by our beauty blog! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have a similar tip as nena and this post. My face is cool tone.. Firstly, I am looking forward yellowish foundation because it would reduce reddish on my face. Secondly, I picked three different shades then lastly put on the neck. The neck is directly connect with the face, it helps find what is perfect foundation color for me so doesn’t look get too dark or too bright :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea to get the exact shade you're after! :)

      Delete
  4. I usually mix the lighter and darker shade to get an exact match...:) also try applying the foundation on ur jawline and blend it to see if its an exact match...if wrong shade of foundation is used..you will end up dressing like a clown...Choosing the right shade is thus important...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, making sure the foundation color blends with your skin is key to a perfect match!

      Delete
  5. great tips! loved it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana! We're glad you liked this post! :)

      Delete
  6. Great tip Sigma!

    My face has pink undertones and the rest of my neck and chest is quite warm. I've had experiences in the past where makeup artists match the foundation to my cheeks, which looks okay in stores but when I stepped into the sunlight my face look so red compared to the rest of me. I really do find that matching the color to the lower part of my neck works best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving foundation with sigma brushes! so i'm waiting for my F82 :)) Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yeah, the foundation, source of so many problems for me. The biggest is that i have to reach deep into my purse to find a light enough for my stupid white skin and i don't even tan but burn so it's impossible for me to get some color...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Muito bom o post!
    É muito difícil encontrar uma base no tom exato de nossa pele, porém é extremamente importante para uma preparação de pele perfeita...
    Gostei muito das dicas!!
    Bjus
    =)

    ReplyDelete